Teacher Appreciation Week is May 5-11.
We asked 2018 Duval County Teacher of the Year semi-finalists how they think the community can show appreciation for teachers. As we prepare to celebrate Teacher Appreciation Week, we're sharing these to get you thinking about how you can support teachers this week, and every week of the year. For more resources, check out the National PTA's toolkit.
Volunteer your time and talents
- Participate in the School Advisory Council of your local school where you can have input into the decision-making process, keep updated about school-based needs and keep abreast of data and policies affecting teachers.
- Work with students in a small group setting in a Title 1 or turnaround school that has a greater population of students who need direct, differentiated instruction.
- Mentor a student.
- Work in a school garden.
- Help the office staff sort and file things.
Partner in creative ways
- Sponsor a school and provide volunteers, supplies or support fundraising events for a year.
- Business leaders - do a ‘teacher of the month’ or ‘school of the month’ and provide that teacher/school with a unique opportunity that has to do with your business.
- Offer discounts for teachers at your establishment.
Donate needed resources
- Drop off supplies at your neighborhood school.
- Consider a financial donation to help teachers purchase supplies, books or send students on field trips.
- Drop off breakfast or lunch for teachers at the school.
Share your appreciation
- Share your message of thanks using #ThankATeacher.
- Send letters or emails thanking teachers directly to them!