VyStar Credit Union matches donations up to $50,000
VyStar Credit Union has made an outright contribution toward the costs associated with renaming six schools in Duval County and is encouraging the community to get involved by pledging to match additional donations up to $50,000. The gift and matching challenge, if fulfilled, would completely fund all remaining costs — just as students return to class for the fall semester.
VyStar's contributions will be geared directly toward students, including athletic programs and extracurricular activities, and will help cover expenses such as scoreboards as well as any repainting that is necessary.
“Words can’t express my gratitude to VyStar Credit Union for this leadership gift,” said Rachael Tutwiler Fortune, JPEF President. “I’m so thankful to VyStar and to all of the more than 370 contributors to school renaming. Now, we invite you to join them, double your impact, and unlock this generous match.” Read the press release about VyStar's match.
About the School Renaming Fund
On June 2, the Duval County School Board voted 5-2 to change the names of six public schools whose names honor Confederate leaders: Joseph Finegan Elementary, Stonewall Jackson Elementary, Jefferson Davis Middle, Kirby-Smith Middle, J.E.B. Stuart Middle and Robert E. Lee High.
JPEF is proud to serve as fiscal agent for Duval County Public Schools on the School Renaming Fund, allowing private donations to help cover the costs of renaming - including paint, uniforms, signs and gym floors - to be tax-deductible through JPEF’s 501(c)3 status. JPEF will use contributions to the Fund to make grants to schools that are renamed.
Online donations can also be made using the button below. Checks can be mailed to the Jacksonville Public Education Fund, 40 E. Adams St, Suite 110, with "school renaming" in the memo line.
How to set up a personal crowdfunding page
You can start your own personal crowdfunding page benefiting the School Renaming Fund. Here's how:
- Visit the School Renaming Fund page here.
- Scroll down and click the button "create my own fundraising page."
- Enter your name and email
- Check your email to find a message about editing your page - click to edit.
- Adjust the goal amount to an amount that's achievable for you and your network.
- Personalize the photo or message - share why this issue matters to you.
- Check your email to find a second email that includes the public link to your page. Forward this email on to your friends and family, post on social media with a selfie, and get out the word however you can!
- Check back often to watch the donations come in and see the impact you're making!
- Be sure to thank your friends and family for their contributions.
*The DCPS School Renaming Fund is a fiscal agency account managed by the Jacksonville Public Education Fund (JPEF). By contributing to this fund, you acknowledge that your donation is the property of JPEF for all purposes and shall not be deemed a separate trust fund held in a trustee capacity. JPEF will have the ultimate authority and control over the contribution, and any income derived therefrom. JPEF will use its commercially reasonable efforts to ensure the use of the contribution for the designated purpose identified on this donation page. If the Duval County School Board does not approve the renaming of the schools, JPEF will work with DCPS to identify another purpose for the funds raised that fits within the organization’s mission, vision, and charitable purpose to support public education in Duval County.