About the fellowship
The Cindy Edelman Excellence in Teaching Fellowship is an unprecedented opportunity for K-12 Duval County public school teachers to elevate their teaching careers through a professional development activity of their choosing.
The Fellowship, which launched in 2019, is intended to identify and reward excellence in teaching and support a program of professional development or research. Fellows can receive up to $6,500 per individual or $10,000 per team of teachers for approved expenses.
For a successful application, keep in mind the following considerations:
- The fellowship is intended to help teachers refine their craft, remain excited about their work and bring their learning to other teachers in their schools.
- The fellowship is an opportunity for teachers to design a learning experience that will transform their classrooms.
- The fellowship is NOT designed to support or supplant graduate work.
The Cindy Edelman Excellence in Teaching Fellowship is an endowed fund at The Community Foundation for Northeast Florida, which means it will exist in perpetuity. The Jacksonville Public Education Fund administers the grants in partnership with The Community Foundation.
Applications are due on February 21, 2021.
Meet the inaugural winners
In March 2020, JPEF and The Community Foundation for Northeast Florida surprised the inaugural winners of the Cindy Edelman Excellence in Teaching Fellowship in their classrooms. Learn more about the teachers and their projects here. While many of these projects were affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, JPEF is working in partnership with The Community Foundation and the winners to adapt their projects so their important work can continue moving forward.
Examples of learning experiences
With the COVID-19 pandemic, travel may be limited for the next year. While we hope travel and large gatherings will be possible again by summer of 2021, we also want to suggest you consider projects that can move forward even without airline travel or large in-person events. Here are some examples of top-tier professional learning experiences that are accessible from Jacksonville.
Cornell Diversity and Inclusion Certificate
Harvard Graduate School of Education Programs
Global Online Academy course of study
- Florida historical and cultural sites
Edelman Fellowships are available to full-time educators in grades K through 12 and are open to teachers in any subject area.
Eligible candidates must:
- Be a full-time educator in a public school in Duval County, traditional and charter schools included
- Spend at least 50% of the work week on direct classroom instruction
- Have at least two years of classroom teaching experience
- Expect to return to the classroom in the following school year
Teams of teachers who meet all of the above requirements may also apply for the $10,000 award. Teams can include any number of teachers, and be working within the same school or across schools.
Have more questions? See our FAQs or contact Warren Buck, JPEF Director of Teacher Leadership, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On Dec. 2, JPEF Director of Teacher Leadership Warren Buck hosted a help desk session to answer teachers' questions about applying. Watch the recording below.
Help spread the word
- Download the promotional flyer to display in your school
- Download a printer-friendly FAQ
- Click to share a link to this page on Facebook
How to apply
To complete the application, you’ll need have the following information.
Section One – Personal and School Information
Section Two – Project Description
- Rationale and purpose of the project
- Detailed description
Section Three – Growth and Learning
- Description of your personal learning objectives
- Description of the impact on your students
- Description of the impact on your school community
Section Four – Implementation and Budget
- How will you implement your project?
- How will the award be spent?
Section Five – Principal Certification
- You'll need a letter from your principal signing off on the project, including permission to spend time away from the classroom, if needed